Sukreswar Temple is perched on top of the Itakhuri hills at Guwahati in the state of Assam.
Legend has it that, that Sage Sukra had his hermitage on this hillock and he used to worship his Lord Shiva in this temple.
The Kalika Purana identifies the hillock as Hastigiri hills due to its shape like the hump of an elephant. Constructed by the Ahom ruler Pramatta Singha in 1744 AD, the Sukreswar temple is located on the southern bank of the mighty Brahmaputra. Originally dating back to the 18th century, the temple is believed to have the largest Shiva lingam or phallic emblem in India.
The adjacent embankment is used for holy bathing and performing rituals. It is believed that the dead gain peaces if the post - death rituals are performed here. A flight of steps lead down from the temple complex to the river. Sitting on the steps of Sukreswar ghat one can enjoy the scenery of sun setting on the river, boats moving across the river.
According to the Hindu legends, if one performs death rituals and rites in honour of their relatives at this temple than the dead person would attain moksha or salvation.